I am currently an assistant professor of finance at the Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business. My research focuses on the economics of innovation and merger and acquisition.
Cubist Systematic Strategies Ph.D. Candidate Award for Outstanding Research, WFA
- Activist Arbitrage in M&A Acquirers, Finance Research Letters, 2019, with Wei Jiang and Tao Li.
- Influencing Control: Jawboning in Risk Arbitrage, Journal of Finance, 2018, with Wei Jiang and Tao Li.
- Appraisal: Shareholder Remedy or Litigation Arbitrage?, Journal of Law and Economics, 2016, with Wei Jiang, Tao Li, and Randall S. Thomas.
Work in Progress
- Technology, Information, and Firm Boundary, with Miao Liu.
- Innovation, Management, and Compensation.
- Debt Collection Technology, with Guangyu Cao and Daheng Yang.
This data project is a systematic effort to match assignee names on USPTO patent records, sometimes abbreviated or misspelled, to all public and private firms that have been involved in alliances and M&A in Compustat and SDC Platinum databases. The current coverage runs from 1976 to 2017 for all public firms in Compustat and from 1985 to 2017 for all private firms in SDC Platinum.
The algorithm leverages the Bing web search engine and significantly improves upon fuzzy name matching, a common practice in the literature. This document presents a step-by-step guide to the searching and matching algorithm. All codes are publicly available on the GitHub page:
This data is used in my job market paper "Technology Development and Corporate Mergers" and other projects including "Technology, Information, and Firm Boundary" (with Miao Liu). It will be made publicly available after the paper is published. I acknowledge the research grant from the Finance Division and the Deming Center at Columbia Business School.
MBA. Advanced Corporate Finance, instructed by Neng Wang, Spring 2018
Executive Education. The Debevoise Business Education Program, Fall 2016
Ph.D. Financial Econometrics II Panel Data, instructed by Wei Jiang, Spring 2015